AMSI Vacation Research Scholarships
Each year AMSI funds around 50 university students from AMSI Member Universities around Australia to spend their summer holidays working on a research project with a supervisor. Vacation scholars experience life as a researcher – undertaking research, writing up the research projects and presenting to peers and supervisors at AMSI’s student conference (AMSIConnect) at the end of the summer.
Many universities encourage their students to participate in the AMSI Vacation Research Scholarship program to prepare them for honours/PhD coursework.
Click here to read Asem’s story and discover the benefits of participating in the AMSI VRS program.
Key Eligibility Criteria
AMSI Vacation Research Scholarships are open to undergraduate students who:
- are currently enrolled at an AMSI Member University (for a full list, please click here)
- are currently in their 3rd year doing a major in the mathematical sciences
- Note: Outstanding 2nd year students with the support of their department will also be considered
- intend to go on to honours and/or postgraduate study in the mathematical sciences, including students doing combined degrees that include mathematics and statistics
- have a strong academic record
Note: Students already doing honours or postgraduate study, or who have previously received an AMSI Vacation Research Scholarship are not eligible.
What AMSI Vacation Research Scholarships offer you
- The AMSI Vacation Research Scholarships offer you the chance to work on a real research project in the mathematical sciences.
- Projects are completed over six weeks and typically begin in late November or early December.
- Successful applicants work closely with a supervisor at their home university, expanding their research skills.
- Scholars are required to write up their research and present it to their peers and supervisors at the end of the summer.
- Vacation Research Scholarship students are paid a stipend through their home university, but are not university or AMSI employees. The amount of the stipend is A$450 per week.
- Scholars also receive funded travel and accommodation for the program student conference, AMSIConnect in Melbourne.
Australian Mathematical Sciences Institute (AMSI)
AMSI is the collaborative enterprise of Australia’s mathematical sciences. It exists to give independence to our disciplines and provide infrastructure so that we can take initiatives to the national and international stage. These measures fall largely into three classes – research and higher education, school education and engagement with the industrial and commercial world.
To find out more about AMSI, please visit our About Us page.